Thursday 23 February 2012

Breakthrough - nothing compares I say



I spent an enjoyable hour this week talking to a friend about jingles. My lovely wife Linda would have hated it, but for me it was an hour well spent. It is true that anyone suffering from an addition has to admit they are addicted in the first place, especially before any treatment can work. I admit to being addicted to jingles and I ask for no treatment whatsoever. I have tons of them. I can spend an hour listening to some of my old JAM jingle CDs, just for the fun of it. My absolute favourite jingle package of all time would be 'Breakthrough' from JAM and WPLJ.  Nothing compares to that moment in time when this jingle package changed the face of hundreds, if not thousands, of radio stations across the world. Hear the full WPLJ package here

I could argue about jingles all day long.  I admit to liking cheese, old fashioned ones, jingles that sound a little outdated are simply not outdated to me.  Jingles cemented my love of radio, it was one of the reasons I was so excited about the medium, it is why I loved radio in the first place. The first time I got a jingle with my own name on, I nearly wet myself.  My absolute favourite memory was when I was at BBC Radio Cumbria. We used to take Radio 2 through the night (and they should still do that by the way instead of 5Live) and the late Ray Moore was on the early show.  He provided me - and I can only assume many others - with a link that said.... And that's it from me from Radio 2 and now we join John Myers at Radio Cumbria. Oh my goodness, I had arrived and I still have it somewhere in my garage today. 

Jingles make a station. A station without jingles or brilliant imaging is not a station I would like to run. Of course, life is all about opinions. One person's jingle package is anothers nightmare. I like that. It is why footballers are good with one manager and crap with another. It is why one radio station works under one PD and dies a death with someone else. At Red Rose I remember commisssioning from the legend that is Steve England a package for our AM Gold station which were 'sound-a-likes' of old 60s songs made into jingles. They worked, but it was the FM Breakthrough package I loved more. So much so, when I left Red Rose to launch CFM in 1993, I used the same breakthrough package again. It was hugely powerful and I can name each jingle by the opening 2sec burst. 

The truth is Jingles is an art form. A lot of people can do them but there is a period of time when some are at the top of their game. We have jingle companies today that are breathtakingly good. But I have yet to hear a  package that made me as bloody proud to run a station (just for the sheer excitement of this jingle package) as I did back then in the late 80s and early 90s.  When I launched Century, I asked JAM if I could do the Voice Over for some of their UK Jingle packages.  Instead they used Keith Pringle.  Whatever happened to him! 

My son thinks I love cheese too much. I tell him he does not love jingles enough.  In a future Radio Academy podcast, we will explore jingles and imaging along with sonic logo's, which are so very much under-rated if you ask me. I might even organise a 'jinglefest' night where we all bring one jingle and get everyone to vote on 'The Best'. However, right now, if I said you could only take one - and I mean just one - jingle package on a desert island with you, what would it be?  

I bet you would remember my package more.. .. but I am open to debate.

STOP PRESS. I hear someone is soon to launch a 24hour non-stop jingle radio station.  Love that!!

17 comments:

  1. John! I can only assume we must have been 'separated at Birth'?

    Great to see you "wear your jingle heart" on your "jingle sleeve.."

    I look forward to hearing JAM's (uber classic) Breakthrough on Spectrum FM !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't hear them on there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely! I'd wholeheartedly agree on Jam's Breakthrough - Sounded great on 97.4 Rock FM! For the desert island I would really find it difficult to choose between that and Jam's 'Turbo Z' package for Z100, which Key 103 (and probably lots of others) had a customised version of in the early 90's - "Serving the universe..." - Amazing package!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, now Turbo Z was magnificent. I will go and listen to that again right now... loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breakthrough is very good, but personally prefer Jam's Sunset Boulevard used by KBIG, and Key 103 used it too, mid 90s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raymondo. It's good but like comparing Stockport FM with Capital.. in my view at least. Will give it another listen

    ReplyDelete
  7. John you are a true anorak. Very http://jinglemad.com !

    Don't ever change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Breakthrough, Turbo Z, Skywave and the KIMN Best Show in Denver packages 1 and 2 myself. Oh god, this anorak is hard to take off now I've got it on again... John I blame you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dickie, Delighted to see you still 'lurv' all the packages from JAM we played overandover on Trent & GEM....

    For 'East Midland's nostalgia' shows on Capital, how about getting some KIMN !?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping that this just John's "Chapter 1" on the topic of jingles? :^)

    ...I would be interested to hear your "take" on 21st century "product" (without resorting to libel of course!)

    The "Jinglefest night" (virtual of course) with "bring your favourite cut" sounds like a great idea - might be a lot "doublers" amongst the entries though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello John!

    A fabulous blog piece,as always.

    My favourite was Hyperlink,which got bought by the guys up the road from Rock,Radio Wave.And having just got back into the game at Chorley FM (yes,it does exist),it's nice to be on a station with jingles - although not JAM,but from a company you'll also have time for,Bespoke Music.

    Regarding being a fan of jingles,feel free to give this a listen.You might know a few of the names too!

    http://www.thejinglesite.com/collectorstale/

    ..and if you need a hand organising said jingle night,feel free to drop me and Roy a line - we have previous experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it ok if I bring along cut 13 Nice Day - JAM Dimension Two?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello John,

    I was working in Carlisle in 1993 when CFM was launched. When the station opened, I thought "Not Breakthrough again!". It was six years old at that stage and some of us "jingle musicologists" were a bit fed up with it, having heard it on several stations.

    The best JAM package you were ever involved with was the Century custom, produced in 1998. I was fortunate enough to be at JAM the week after the vocals had been sung. I spent MANY hours with Jon Wolfert while he mixed the cuts.

    My favourite was the travel cut which was written and performed by Bud Guin. How many jingle fans have heard of him?

    Now that you have sworn your allegiance to JAM, I wonder why you ever bought that awful Smooth Radio package from Bespoke?

    ReplyDelete
  15. J17, thanks for the note. Like I said, everyone has a view about jingles. As you move up the management ladder you allow others to decide on the output. My view should not suggest that I am always right, it is just my view. Now if it was my own station, owned 100% by Myers Media and I could do what I wanted - just for me - then I might do something quite different. However, like most things in life, I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot more talented people than me deciding station output. It's best to let them get on with it and opinions will always be there.

    By the way, you buy jingles for the inpact on an audience. CFM Carlisle has never had a jingle package as good as Breakthrough. It might have been old to us in the business, but to the listeners, it was brand new..

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you said on Twitter John, you never knew there would be THIS much interest in jingles!

    I have to also comment on your point: 'there are a lot more talented people than me deciding station output. It's best to let them get on with it'

    Back in the 70s at Metro, and 80s-90s at Trent/GEM I was fortunate that I was 'left to my own devices' with the jingles; at Trent, with the (legendary) Ron Coles, and later Chris Hughes, who did not interfere... So we had 14 years of 'sound continuity and the jingles got tighter and better.. but the 'themes' and 'localness' remained ... so we kept older listeners and attracted younger ones..

    THAT is why I find it disturbing that most of the syndicated stations don't make ANY effort to go for 15-45s but stick with under 30s.. and poorly produced and sung 'Blingles'..

    The wider audience SHOULD be possible..? And of course JINGLES are an important part of that...

    I was delighted to have 100 'reads' of my 'Jingles or Blingles' Blog yesterday, and welcome thoughts about my suggestions.

    http://lengroat.blogspot.com/

    BTW: my favourite Jingle company is (of course) JAM, who have lasted over 35 years, but it's impossible to pin down just one favourite package...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I suggest TM Century's "LA's #1 Hit Music Station"? At Forth we had it resung when RFM became 'Forth FM'. Keep the posts coming - or better still, a podcasts or RA event?

    ReplyDelete