Saturday 3 March 2012

I am sure I retired...


What a week! Monday started with the release of my report into BBC Local Radio and I can now get on with life. Over the following 24 hours I received over 60 emails from staff which was nice along with a number from colleagues, friends and just media observers. However, one email did make me smile a lot. It simply said... Dear John, you are a cu*t. I have no idea who sent that but for a moment I thought I had 40 suspects!!  Later in the day, I had chats with Radio WM before meeting up with a producer, to chat about a new programme idea that might be interesting. Before you ask it is NOTHING to do with any proposal for Radio England.  

Tuesday featured more BBC local interviews, a number of meetings across London and then I met up with Steve Hewlett for a recording of The Media Show on R4. Steve is absolutely the best media commentator in the UK right now. He knows his stuff, you have to be on your toes and he is extremely well connected. On top of that, his programme this week in particular was a brilliant listen especially with regard to Leveson and Murdoch. 

Wednesday we progressed the plans for The Radio Festival and The Sony Awards. Also on the day, I had one of those embarrassing moments to forget. A friend was in town so I met up with them for an early lunch. Then just as I arrived back in the office, my phone went from another friend asking where I was?  It seems I agreed to have lunch with him so I had to hot-foot it for another bite to eat.  Two lunches in one day! 

On Thursday I was in Salford for a face to face meeting at the BBC Local Radio Managing Editors conference.  I was first up and to be fair to everyone there, it was a good debate and I enjoyed it a lot. Later on, I was up to see my mum in law who was celebrating her 90th birthday. Soon I was over to Stranraer for the ferry to Belfast.  An open top tour bus of Belfast with typical Irish humour in full flow. The best line was... The Titanic. It was alright when it left here! There was time for some fun on the golf course at Lough Erne - just as the sun was going down and I can recommend this place. Wonderful hotel and golf to just stand back and thank god you are alive. Right now, I am at the equally impressive Galgorm resort for more golf, spa stuff and earlier today I had a trip to The Giants Causeway via the coast road that is a must to do, especially when the sun is shining. Giants Causeway was good but busy, windy, cold and I to be honest, I have now been there and done it! 

This coming Monday, we have a Radio Academy event at U105 in Belfast. A Q and A and a chance to meet radio folk this side of the water.   For those who can, please come along to say hello. 

Right now I am listening to entries for the Bauer Radio Awards. Linda is in The Spa... doing whatever they do in those things.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment